Monday, August 19, 2013

Downside Up

Lately, I've been reading books with the goal of attaining some knowledge and understanding that will bring me to the place in my life where I want to be and should be. So when I saw the book "Downside up" by Tracey Mitchell I was skeptical. I mean transforming rejection into a positive? Ok.

I was pleasantly surprised when I read this book and she didn't hit me over the head with the usual "trust God and all will be well", or "pray, pray, pray to make all the bad things go away" rhetoric that is so commonplace in Christian books. Instead she brought some real issues to the fore, explained them and their effect, then gave some insightful advice on how to turn a bad situation, or circumstance into a learning opportunity to advance yourself.

True, this book does call on the reader to deepen their relationship with God, but it also asks questions to help the reader to examine himself and thus bring your self-image into alignment with reality. After realizing that you may need some work in a given area, Mitchell gives sound advice to overcoming or strengthening that weaker area. The book is well written, easy to read, and is a page turner. The key to this book is thus : "Rejection is unavoidable. Your response to rejection, however, will determine your potential for positive relationships; and it will ultimately decide which doors of opportunity will be open to you" (Mitchell, 2).

Read this book, and you will learn something that can help you overcome the sting of rejection and use it to make yourself stronger.

__________________________________________________________________________________
I receive these books free from Thomas Nelson Publishers as part of their BookSneeze.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment