Tuesday, October 22, 2013

God in my everything

When I decided to read "God in my everything", I really wanted to figure out how to incorporate God more fully into my life. Though, when I thought about it it was more about showing God in my life. At first this book seemed to be in line with my efforts, but then I realized that for me at least what he was talking about was unrealistic. There are some good points in this book such as purposefully devoting time to prayer, working in such a way as to glorify God (essentially doing your best no matter what you feel about your job, or coworkers), observing the Sabbath. But he really goes off the deep end when he talks about applying your wealth to the good of God. On the surface, you would think that he's speaking of giving to the poor, charities, tithing, stuff like that. And he does, but he takes it to a level of ridiculousness- proportionate giving.

Proportionate giving is when you figure out the minimal about of money you need to live and give the rest to God. They assert that this is from the doctrine of being a good steward of God's gifts/ resources. They are wrong, by living at the lowest level of life you can and just giving away the rest you are, in fact, snubbing you nose at God!! Think on this... there are billions of people in the world and God chose you to bless in such a way that you would be able to show the great life one who follows his Word and Ways can live. But instead you choose to live like a pauper and throw away the money God gave you to glorify Himself through you. Instead of starting a business that could improve the economy of your community, through jobs, service delivery, and inspiration to those people who may be watching you, you no I'd rather be poor.

If it weren't for this concept and how strongly the author supports it, I may have gotten something out of this book. But, I doubt it. The author definitely does not inspire confidence in his knowledge of God. This is a man who quit a lucrative job where he could influence the business world in a way that could bring God glory, to become a preacher. There's nothing wrong with being a preacher, but when I think about how much more good a man such as the author could have done to bring God back into the business world, I see a massive potential wasted. If he had written this book as a big time business executive then he would have had much more credibility. But as it is he makes it appear that the only way to get closer to God is to become a preacher, priest, or nun.

I don't recommend this book to anyone.
___________________________________________________________________________________
I receive these books free from Thomas Nelson Publishers as part of their BookSneeze.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”  


No comments:

Post a Comment